When you see any orange coloured vegetables think immune boosting carotenes that help to keep those bugs at bay.
- Rich in vitamin E and beta-carotene (carrots, sweet potato)
- Anti-inflammatory (onions, garlic, ginger)
- Medium chain triglycerides to help provide energy and fight infection (coconut milk)
Ingredients (serves 2 to 3)
1 tbsp coconut oil or medium (not extra virgin) olive oil
½ red onion, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 large carrot or 2 small-medium ones, peeled and chopped
1 large sweet potato, or 2 small-medium ones, not peeled, chopped to the same size as the carrot to ensure even cooking
1 heaped tsp grated fresh root ginger
¼ tsp turmeric
2 tsp Marigold Reduced Salt Vegetable Bouillon powder
½ red pepper, diced
75ml (2 ½ floz) coconut milk
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and gently sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes until they start to soften by do not turn brown.
2. Add the carrot, sweet potato, ginger, turmeric and bouillon powder. Just cover with boiling water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
3. Add the red pepper and coconut milk, then blend until smooth and thick.