Many thanks to The Happy Pear guys in Greystones for this tasty recipe. The celeriac is a great way to give the soup a healthy creamy texture.
Ingredients (serves 4)
¼ of a celeriac or 3 sticks of celery
3 cloves of garlic
1 head of broccoli
1 medium carrot
300g sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4-5cm piece of ginger
1.5 litres vegetable stock or water
- Peel and roughly chop the onion, celeriac and garlic. Roughly chop the broccoli florets and cut the stem up nice and small. Roughly chop the carrot and sweet potatoes.
- Pour the oil into a large family size pan and put on a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celeriac and garlic and stir. Cover with a lid, then turn the heat to low and cook gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broccoli and sweet potatoes along with the salt, black pepper and cumin and cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Finely grate the ginger. Add the stock and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and blend until smooth, using a stick blender. If it seems too thick, add a little water to reach the desired consistency.
- Taste, and season with more salt and pepper if it needs it.