Did you know that in 2 tablespoons of Nutella there is a whopping 21 grams of sugar. That’s just over 5 teaspoons of sugar!
The World Health Organisation recommends a max of 6 teaspoons of added sugar a day for a woman and 8 teaspoons for a man, and it’s very easy to reach the limit when you buy processed and convenient foods.
But the good news is that you can still get your chocolate fix by making your own “Cleantella”
2 cups raw hazelnuts (240g)
1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup of raw local honey or maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt
Optional: 2tsp coconut oil (for extra smoothness although it’s still very smooth without the addition of the coconut oil)
1/2 cup of milk of your choice (almond milk works well)
- Roast hazelnuts for 6-8 minutes at 400F
- Rub them together in a paper towel to get the skin off.
- In a blender or food processor blend the nuts until they turn into butter
- Then add all other ingredients and blend for quite some time, till it gets as smooth as Nutella. This will take about 2 minutes.
- Enjoy without the sugar guilt trip!
Thanks to ‘healthy and hip’ for this yummy recipe!